Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wireless

Now you see me with oxygen. . .
Now you Don't!!!

Okay, it is proving to be difficult to get to the computer on a regular basis. Duncan gave us a week of, how do we say this sweetly, trail of patience. He decided that he wanted to scream at 2am for 2+ hours for a week. That was so hard. The screaming can really get to you-emotionally and physically. I was a little out of sorts for a few days, but we finally seem to have gotten it under control. I went out and bought the book The Happiest Baby on the Block- I would highly recommend this book for all first time mothers. It gives a lot of really great tips on how to handle fussy, colic babies. Not just fussy babies, but it also explains how to care for them the first 3 months. Very excellent book.

Now on with other news. Duncan is finally a wireless baby!! Yeah. I waited a couple of weeks to post that news because we weren't sure if he would be able to stay off of it. After his laser eye surgery I was worried about taking him off of it. Then that next week the tape came off his face on one side and I decided well, if I'm going to do it I should just do it now and not replace the tape. So off came the oxygen and he did great. We kept the apnea monitor on him and it only went off once, but he was okay. He is doing great. He is thriving like a normal newborn even though he is 4 months old. But until he catches up we will have to eliminate 3 months off of his age. He is almost 10 pounds and he eats like a champ. He has almost outgrown the newborn clothes, he can wear 0-3months. He is cute and loves to be held- ALL THE TIME! He won't sleep long unless he is being held, this is our biggest challenge right now, getting him to sleep in his cradle or anywhere that isn't my arms. He has a nurse that come once a week to check on him, make sure he is thriving and that his lungs sound clear and answer any questions that I have. She said that we should try either wrapping him or putting next to him a t-shirt that I have worn so he can smell me, because he is less fussy for me than he is for Justin.

I'm watching my maternity leave dwindle away and it makes me anxious. I really don't want to miss anything with him. It seems like the time when they start to really show their personalities is when you have to go back to work. I'm so grateful though that my parents are close and are willing to watch him for the remainder of my school year. Our plans for childcare went out the window with lung disease. He can't be around other small children or anyone sick. We are being extra super cautious this flu season-no one can come around him if they haven't had a flu shot.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

:) said...

I have been thinking about you lately! Sorry that I haven't called. That is great that he is off oxygen! Yippee! How are you feeling? Still recovering? I hope that you are napping during the day. He is so darn cute! Call me if you get a free moment!

andreamatrix said...

It's always nice to upgrade to wireless....

Good for you! Stick to your guns on the flu shot thing...

10 pounds! What a chubba. What is the time difference between the wired and wireless pics? His face really changes without those tubes. :)

ellen said...

I was just wondering last night how things were going in Duncanland. Look at his cheeks!! Cute kid.

Allison and Nathan said...

Wow - looks like you've officially been introduced to motherhood! It gets easier as they get a little older - I always stuggled through the newborn phase. I used to say "I wish they could be born as a six-month-old." Give Duncan kisses for us!

Sweetpea said...

Great news! An he looks FANTASTIC! Another great book about baby sleep is the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I love that book! I hope you get some rest, I know it's hard. Get a sling! It will really help. Olivia lived in mine for the first 3-4 months of her life, which left my hands free and then she slept in the sling tons. There are tons of kinds. The one I like the best is my Storchenweige, which is a long piece of fabric you tie in different styles. It's awesome because you can use it even when your baby is a toddler. I even know people who makes their own. If you want a pattern, let me know. Anyhow. The sling will save your life. Seriously. Then you can get some stuff done and get some rest, too, I hope.