Saturday, May 23, 2009

Super Baby

Today Duncan got his first pacifier. He loved it! As soon as she put it in his mouth he started sucking on it. The nurse thought it would really help to keep him calm.
Our first family picture. Not exactly where I would like it to be taken, but it will do for now.


I bought this bib the day before Mothers day. My mom, sister Suzi and my niece Aubree and I went to Scottsdale for two reasons, to register at Babies R Us and go to this really cool maternity clothes store called Destination Maternity, my mother-in-law gave me gift cards for there, and they sale some baby clothes and they had this bib. I had to buy it. If you don't know Justin is a huge Superman fan, so I thought his son needed it. Now I'm so glad I got it for him, because he is Super Baby.

He gave us a little scare yesterday. They had to put him on an Oscillator breathing machine. X-rays showed that he wasn't getting enough oxygen to his lungs so they put him on that machine and they thought that he would be on it for a couple of days or weeks, but they took him off of it in the middle of the night. When I got to the hospital and saw him on that machine I freaked out a little. It was shaking his chest and it looked so scary. Justin called his cousin and he came to the hospital and they gave him a blessing. I think it was what he needed. They told us when Duncan went to the St. Joe's that he had a hole in his heart, and the last couple of days they have been giving him medication to close the hole. An Eco showed that the hole was closing, and I think that is what caused the problems yesterday. Today the nurse practitioner said she thought that the hole closing is what caused yesterdays episode as well because the hole closing changes everything that is going on in his little chest. My mom says he has to let us know he is the boss. The thing is that even when I was in labor and scared and I was scared seeing Duncan yesterday I always get this feeling and the same thing goes through my mind, "he is going to be okay, everything is going to be fine," and I feel peace. I know that Heavenly Father is looking out for him and I truly believe that he is going to be fine.

Today he had an awesome day nurse, Monica. She let us change his diaper and I got to clean his eyes and mouth. I also got to pick him up and hold him while she moved his "nest" around. She was so nice and informative. I just love our little peanut. He opens his eyes and looks at us and I just talk to him and let him know I am there. I love watching Justin with him. He always watches the nurses care for him and asks if what their doing is going to hurt him, is the tape being pulled too tight,etc. Justin has been a trooper through all of this. He took 2 weeks off work so he could be with us, he was at the hospital all day with Duncan when I was in the hospital and he goes at times when I can't. He loves his son so much. He told me the other night that he knows Duncan hasn't been with us that long, but he just couldn't imagine our family without him. See, he does have a soft side to that rough exterior.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

I love the family picture. Looks like he is making progress. I love the superman "cape."

andreamatrix said...

Don't worry about the hole in the heart thing. Trev had that and it wasn't really a big deal. (I say this AFTER freaking out way back when...) He also had to use that breathing machine thing for a few days and I remember how scary it was. The hole will heal itself. Our bodies are so amazing!

I LOVE the cape/bib!

:) said...

I adore that family picture! It is beautiful! And the bib is Super Awesome! Hope everything and everyone is doing great! I think I only have Justin's cell number. Hang in there! Nat

Unknown said...

I saw Leann yesterday and she told me about your little boy. I will keep him and you two in my prayers. Nat I have always admired your testimony. I know you will get throught this. He is so sweet.
Love & Miss ya,
Natalie Olson-Priest

Elisabeth said...

I love all of your Duncan updates. He is such a sweet little guy. I hope there are no more nervous moments for him, and that the heart medication works completely. You guys look so cute with him. He really is a cute little baby, I love seeing pictures of him. I can't believe he's so little and opens his eyes so much!

Erica said...

Your faith continues to stengthen me as it always has. You are amazing and we honestly pray for Duncan by name each night. He is cute and the bib reminds me of his dad. It is perfect! He is so cute!