Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Unexpected

There are a few things that we always expect. We expect that when we wake up in the morning the sun will be up, we expect that people driving on the freeway know how to actually drive on the freeway (well sort of). There are however, things in life that come at us unexpectedly.

Our pregnancy was unexpected only because we had been trying for so long with no success. When we found out we were pregnant, Justin and I were so overjoyed. I expected to have a normal pregnancy. I didn't expect acid reflux, or horrible back pain. But I did expect to have a healthy baby boy in August. I should realize from other life events that when I expect something, it usually doesn't turn out the way I want it to go. Things were going well. I had no indication that things would not go well. My ultra sound appointment didn't show that there were any problems, on the contrary everything looked normal. This is when I Should expect things to take a wicked turn. Nothing in my life has ever gone as planned for me.

On Wednesday May 13th things were normal. I went to work, had a normal work day, didn't feel sick or any inordinate pains. That night Justin and I watched t.v. and things were normal. Then at about 10:30pm things started to not be so normal, only I didn't know they were not normal. I started having sharp pains in my lower abdomen and I just chalked it up to be normal stretching pains. This continued for about an hour. I thought they would go away. I was going to the bathroom a lot, but that isn't really out of the ordinary when I am trying to go to bed. But the pains wouldn't go away, and then at about 12am things started to go south. The pains then started to go to my lower back and they were painful. I went to the bathroom and this time I inadvertently turned on the light. When I got up I saw blood! "This can't be happening!" is all that ran through my mind. I ran and got Justin and told him he had to take me to the hospital right now, I was bleeding. He jumped up and got dressed. We jumped in the car and I asked him which hospital he was taking me to and he said the closest one, which was West Valley Hospital.

When we got there, Justin and I quickly went into the ER and I told the nurse that I was 25 weeks pregnant and bleeding. She rushed us through the doors into the admitting area and I have never seen a person admit someone so fast. The lady at the desk was shouting orders and printing papers and having me sign things. Justin ran to move the car and by the time he got back she almost had me admitted. She had them bring a wheel chair but the pain was intense now that I couldn't sit down. She yelled for a bed and the lady put me on it and wheeled me to an exam room.

The pain, oh the pain. I have never felt pain like this. It was so intense, I was going to the bathroom, throwing up. I couldn't lay on my back. The nurse was trying to hook me up to a monitor and I just couldn't lay on my back. Finally, she was able to get it all hooked up and we could hear the baby's heart beating. Some Relief. Then she examined me and quickly said, "I need to get a second opinion." and rushed off and then came another nurse. She said I was fully dilated and they weren't going to be able to stop this. The baby is going to be born tonight. This was very unexpected. Justin and I looked at each other and I could see panic in his eyes. We couldn't believe this was happening.

I was rushed up to a delivery room and prepped. I asked if I could have an epidural and they said no. I thought, "This is going to hurt a lot." They asked me a bunch of questions and finally the doctor rushed in. He said they were going to air vac me to another hospital, but decided not to and they were going to air vac the baby to St. Joseph's after he was born. They got me ready to deliver and broke my water. I thought the pain was going to get intense, but it really didn't. The Dr. told me to push and I said, "I don't know how, I don't know what I'm doing!" The nurse said like you are going to the bathroom. It really hurt, but I tried. The Dr. Said to stop and asked for the ultra sound machine. He looked and the baby was breach. He said they would have to do a c-section.

They were getting me prepped and getting the team together and waiting for the air vac team to get there. Then they said they were going to give me an epidural. That was so not fun. The guy couldn't get it, and after several minutes of him poking me with a needle in my back, not just my back, but my spin, he said he couldn't get it and they would have to put me out. They rolled me into the operating room and the Dr. told him no, give her a spinal I don't want her out. So he did and it took right away. After several minutes at 3:27am Duncan Liam Isaac was born weighing only 1lb 12oz. When I woke up in the recovery room, my sister was standing next to me. My parents were at my grandma's getting ready to go to Oklahoma. They got there shortly after Duncan was born. I spent several days in the hospital recovering with my family around me. Justin was at the hospital with Duncan, which gave me some peace knowing he was there.

Our brave little boy is now at St. Josephs Hospital in NYICU fighting to stay strong. He is so beautiful and adorable. He has white blonde hair all over, and if he had gone full term he would have had even more hair than he does now. Today he opened his eyes. He looked at me and my heart melted. I know that he is a fighter. For the short time he was in my belly, he kicked, moved and at time felt like he was punching me. He is strong and I have total faith that he is going to be okay. I know that he could have his down days and there is still a long road ahead, but I pray everyday that Heavenly Father will bless him and keep him strong.

Thank you all who have been so supportive at this time. I can't even tell you how much it means to mean that immediately people called the Temples all over and put our names on the prayer roll. Please keep praying for our baby boy.

12 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Nat- Thanks for posting the whole story, I've been checking everyone's blog everyday to see if there were any updates. Duncan is beautiful, he looks great, much better than I expected. He even reminds me of Noah a little. He is an adorable baby. Of course, after reading all of that I'm bawling my head off. I'm so glad he's ok and doing well so far. We are praying for him a lot, and the kids keep asking about Baby Duncan, even A. keeps saying his name all the time! We love you guys and we're thinking of you. Oh, and I sent you a package, just so you know to be on the lookout, it should have gotten there by now. I forgot it is hot there and sent chocolate, oops. I hope it didn't melt all over!
We miss you, take care and keep us posted on how everything is going.

E

The Mayo Family said...

I hope everything turns out good! He looks adorable!

Greg and Nicole Jensen said...

Natalie! You are amazing and so is your little guy. We will pray for you and your family and know all will turn out well for you. What a story. I am glad that both you and Duncan are safe.

ellen said...

Your names are on the Boston Temple prayer roll. And you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharla said...

Wow, I can't imagine what an emotional filled week you've had! I'm glad you are doing well and that Duncan seems to be staying strong! He is so tiny, but precious!

Margaret said...

Nat-We've been thinking about you all week and hoping for the best for baby Duncan. I'm glad he's doing so well, thank you for the update. What a scary experience! And what a wonderful brave mother this little boy has. We love you!!!
Margaret & Family

Whittney said...

Natalie- I heard the good news about Duncan opening his eyes yesterday, that is wonderful! You and Duncan are both strong, and I know he will keep being a fighter. If you need anything at all, please let me know. I am thinking about you and can't wait to hear more positive updates about Duncan!

The Cooper's said...

It warmed my heart to see this...He is so sweet, such a little peanut, he's going to have quite a story to tell when he grows up. You were such a brave girl, I am so proud of you, your delivery was such a scary situation and you made it through!! Good for you! We miss you at school, have a great summer and be blessed!!
P.S. When I put Jacob to bed the night I heard that Duncan was born I told him that we needed to pray for you guys and he said, "Let's pray for them first, they're the most important." We're all pulling for you & praying many times a day!!

Blackson family said...

Natalie! Duncan is precious and so adorable. I am sorry for this trying time and our prayers are with you, Duncan, and Justin. Thanks for the updates.

Sweetpea said...

We are all praying for you, Duncan and Justin. We are having your name put on the Salt Temple roll, the more the better! He is such a doll, I hope everything goes smoothly.

Allison and Nathan said...

Duncan's birth story will always be able to top those of his friends. We love and your little family and you're in our constant thoughts and prayers.

The Williamses said...

Wow..... so scary, my heart was just aching reading this story! And I already knew that the ending of the post was happy :-) I'm so glad that Duncan is doing so well and of course we're praying for him, and you, and Justin. You guys are gonna do so great with him!