Monday, August 24, 2009

So long, Going home

Duncan had to say bye to Brooke -his primary nurse the entire 3 months he has been there.
Dr. Nasar had to say goodbye as well.
Going home-FINALLY!!

Sorry it has taken so long to get this up, but it has been a few restless days around here. Last Thursday Duncan was released from St. Joe's where he has been for the past 3 months. He has had a long road and it isn't over yet. Justin and I spent the night at the hospital with him Wednesday night, that is an interesting experience. I'm glad we did it because it allowed me time to ask questions and figure out what he is like when he sleeps. He is one noisy sleeper. He grunts and grunts all night, but he is asleep. When we came home my parents were here waiting. It was so funny, they brought their video camera and camera and as we were walking in my dad tried to start the video camera, well the battery was dead so my mom grabs her camera and the card was full. It was funny.

Duncan is doing well. He is still trying to get adjusted to being home. Each night is a little better. He just wants to be held all the time. Even to sleep. So it has been a little bit of a struggle at night. Last night was our first night alone with him. My sister and mom have been staying the nights with us. Which I highly recommend the first few nights because you really do need sleep. He did come home on oxygen just 1/8 of a liter which is just above room air, so it really isn't a lot. He is also on an apnea monitor. He doesn't have apnea, but the dr. wanted to send him home on it. So far so good.
I didn't think I would cry when he left, but it was harder to say goodbye than I thought. Dr. Nasar was crying as she came to do her final eval of him. She said he is her miracle baby. Brooke was pretty sad as well. Her last day with him was Tuesday so she had to say bye early. Tears were shed, we left at 7pm so she could have a little bit of time with him. Not that she won't ever see him again. She lives about 10 min. from us. She even came over Thursday after we got home. We call her too. Justin called to ask about some medicine-she just knows Duncan and we trust her. She was so great with him and he loves her too. I really loved the hospital staff there. There were a few nurses that were less to be desired, but overall they were great. We loved Dr. Nasar, she was so great with us and Duncan. She is a very, very good Dr. I feel blessed that we got her.

Duncan isn't done with the Dr.s not by a long shot. He already went to his pediatrician the day after he came home. I really like the Doctors and their office is really nice and close. Everyone says he looks really good. He looks like a normal new born. The movie they had us watch about preemies at the hospital was interesting because all the babies still looked so tiny. Duncan is not tiny. He is growing and doing what he needs to do. I just pray that he continues that way. He weighs 7lbs 9oz. We have to be very careful about who we let over because he does have lung disease; so please don't take offense if we can't let you in the door.

I will continue posting and let you know how Duncan is progressing.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

Congratulations on getting your little boy home! I wish we could come see him! We've been anxious to hear when he could get home with you! Now begins the sleepless nights and midnight feedings - isn't it great!

ellen said...

Welcome home, Duncan!!!

The Williamses said...

Holy chubby cheeks, Batman!! (sorry, I mean, Superman!)
Congratulations-- prayer is great and Heavenly Father is loving.

Rochelle said...

WELCOME HOME BABY DUNCAN!!! Woo hoo! I know its a hard road, but having them home is so nice!

Kylee said...

Your little family is complete. :)

The Cooper's said...

Yay!! I am so glad he is home!! I am also glad that you posted something...I've been checking in. :) He looks awesome!! How great that he is Dr. Nasar's miracle baby- it helps doctors see the miracles that God can do. I hope you are able to use the video monitor we got you & that it helps give you some peace of mind! God Bless!

Natalie said...

Oh, I will be using that monitor as soon as he will sleep in his cradle.

Elisabeth said...

So how is it going after almost a whole week? Ok, I just have to say, Dr. Nasar looks like she is about 16 years old!! I guess I must be getting old because a lot of doctors are starting to look really young to me!

Natalie said...

No she does look young. Duncan's nurse is younger than me.

Sweetpea said...

I am so happy for you guys!