Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Popover anyone...

Has no one ever heard of a popover? Last night I was watching the Food Network (love it)and Alton was on. I had heard of popovers, but I had never made or attempted to make them before. Well Alton made them and it was so easy. I decided since the missionaries were coming for dinner today that I would make them. It would be a nice change from the regular dinner roll. But where to find a popover pan? I went to Joanns-No, then to JCPenny's-No, then to Kohls-No, Marshalls- No, (but I did find the cute cake stand in the picture)then to Michales-No. No one had a stink'n popover pan!! So I called my mom and my mother-in-law to see if they had one, alas no luck there either. However, they both told me that I could use a muffin pan. Now the pan that Alton used looks like small drinking cups held together with wire. They are deep and narrow at the bottom and then it widens at the top. I have seen these before, but it must not be a common pan. So without the proper pan, I attempted to make them, (may I say don't try to make them until winter as your oven has to be at 400 degrees and my house is still not cooled off from it being on-which made my husband not happy). I can't say if they turned out okay or not because frankly, I have never had a popover. I don't know how they are supposed to turn out. I know that they are supposed to be airy in the middle, but how are they supposed to taste? I thought mine were a little salty tasting. But is that how they are supposed to taste? And the color, these look like they are burned, but they aren't. I thought that when I pulled them out they would be hard, but they were moist and soft.

If any expert of popovers happens upon my blog, please let me know if my popovers look okay and what they are supposed to taste like.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

They look good to me.

love_suz said...

I am pretty sure mom made these when we were little?? I remember them for some reason.
They look yummy!