Monday, July 13, 2009

Chunky Boy

This again, is an older picture. But I just love this one, you can see all the wrinkles in his face.

Duncan is doing much better. He was given blood yesterday and they think that because his blood level was low he was having difficulties with his lungs. After they gave him the blood, he was doing really good. His oxygen level was low and he wasn't working so hard to breath. He is still doing well on the food. He is up to 30cc's every three hours. They are even talking of putting him in an open bed because he acts like he is warm in his bed, so if he can keep his own body temp up they may put him in the new bed later today or tomorrow. He is now 3lbs. 11oz.

On another note, I am doing much better with the pumping. My milk began to increase. I'm not sure what I did, but last week I rested a lot more, spent less time at the hospital (not easy to do), ate oatmeal, and drank tons and tons of water each day, and I drank chocolate malted Ovaltine. My sis-in-law's sister is a midwife and she has friends that are very knowledgeable about lactation and she spent time finding info for me and sent all of it to me. It was very, very kind of her to do that and I really appreciated all the info she got for me. Thank you Anne. And of course, thank you to all of you for the info you sent me as well, I tried a lot of different things. Of course another thing that was suggested was to pump both breasts at the same time. Well I have a Medela pump, a really nice one, and you can pump both at once. One night I was pumping and my dog Angus was trying to jump on my chair and I reached over to push him down and the whole pump fell off the table and I picked it up and was trying to put the hose back in the valve and the valve had snapped off into the hose!! I was so upset. It was an expensive pump and I broke it and how was I going to pump both, but also how would I pump when I went back to work?!! So I was looking in the booklet and decided that I would try to return it. I decided to look on line and email customer service. After I emailed them I saw that you could buy replacement parts so I looked and sure enough, the entire faceplate comes off and is replaceable for a mere $8. I was saved. I was so glad it was that cheap to replace and I don't have to go through the hassle of trying to get it fixed. The part should be here this week.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

andreamatrix said...

Woo hoo! I'm so glad he's doing so well. ALSO happy about the pump. The good ones are $$$.

Margaret said...

Nat, you may be able to get your insurance company to reimburse you for the pump. Sometimes a pediatrician will write a prescription for the pump because it is medically necessary and that is all the insurance co. needs to see to reimburse you. Alice's ped wrote one for us. It's worth a try--those things aren't cheap!