Sunday, July 19, 2009

Doing Great



Duncan is doing Great!! He has made amazing progress in the last week. He is off the CPAP and he is loving it. He looks so much more comfortable with the new nasal canala flow tube. A couple hours after being on the new tube they took a blood gas and it came back "awesome" as his nurse said. Friday they started giving him his immunization shots. I was really nervous about him getting those. But he did really well. They gave him Tylenol to help with the pain. The other great news is that today I was able to bottle feed him!!! They decided to try starting him on one bottle feed a day and see how it goes, well he chugged that bottle like a champ!! One thing that preemies have to learn is how to do is suck, swallow and breath at the same time. I really think it helped that the nurses and Justin and I would give him his pacifier whenever he was being feed, I think it really made a difference. I was impressed, I really didn't think it was going to go well, but again this little guy has proven me wrong. He is almost 35 weeks old and the nurses have said that around this time things just start to click with them.

I feel like Duncan has been extremely blessed and I know that Heavenly Father has been very mindful of him and has poured his blessing on him. There is another little preemie boy in his pod and he had to have the heart surgery to close the hole in his heart and we were talking and she said that most preemie boys and some girls have to have that surgery. She said she was shocked that Duncan didn't have to have it and that his hole closed only after one round of the medicine to close the hole. She said she has only seen that happen twice since she has been there. I know that it is because Duncan was given a blessing and Heavenly Father blessed him and Justin and I. He has really blessed me with peace of mind in some of the most scary situations. I am just so grateful to my Heavenly Father. I am so grateful to everyone that has been praying for him and putting his name in at Temples all over the world. Thank you so much.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

:) said...

What great news Nat! He is getting so big and strong. I still can't get over all his hair!

ellen said...

Thanks for sharing all the good news about Duncan!

Jessica said...

Yea!!

Rochelle said...

He looks like he is doing SOOOO awesome! I'm so glad he's not had to have any surgeries! That really is proof of the power of prayer!

Elisabeth said...

Nat- I love that picture of you and Duncan, so sweet. I'm glad he's doing well, it's a miracle. Wish I could see him in person, I bet he ends up looking a little like Noah, I've always thought he looks like you a lot!

Donna said...

I'm so happy that he is doing so well. Such a tough little guy. Yay Duncan! Oh and thanks for your comment about the c section. I'm starting to think that that is what I would prefer too.