Sunday, July 12, 2009

Must love Dogs

Angus
Pippin

I love my dogs. People that know me know that I really love these guys. They are small, spunky and full of energy. They are also both male, neutered and house trained...at least I thought. This is my problem with these two the last few months. Because they are both male they are both trying to be the dominate male, so they have decided to go around and mark things. . . IN THE HOUSE!!! I have been patient with them, I have rubbed their nose in it, we put them outside when they do it. When I had Duncan we went to my parents house and they went with me and I thought it would stop. Nope they tried doing it there too. At first we thought it was only Angus that was doing it, but then at my parents house Pippin walks right into the room I was staying in and lifts his leg on the hanging bed spread. I couldn't believe it. The funny thing is that we can tell which one did it, because the guilty one will cower and try to hide. My big worry is that I want the dogs to be good when Duncan comes home. I want them to be used to his smell, and also I don't want them peeing on things in his bedroom so I do allow the dogs to go in when I am in there. Well I forgot to close the door and I had a basket of Duncan's clean clothes on the floor and sure enough I go in there and Angus has peed on one end of the basket and the floor. He is now in his kennel. I have decided that if they misbehave they will go in there. I really don't want them to have to become outside dogs, but Justin said if they don't stop that's what will happen. So if any of you have any ideas how to stop them from doing this, please, all advice is welcome.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Nick and Kelly Felix said...

Hey. My husband is an animal freak and has worked with dogs for the past 8 years so this is what he says. I know you have a lot to do but he said to set a timer and make sure the dogs go out every hr on the hour. Also get a cleaner that is for pet urine and make sure you clean everthing they have marked really good to get that smell out as much as possible. He says the more they go outside the less they will want to go inside and mark things. Just a suggestion. Your dogs are very very cute!!!!!

Kylee said...

Ah! No fun! Sorry you've had to deal with that! They're such adorable dogs! All I can say is what has helped us get Emma fully trained. Maybe going back to basics and crating them more frequently... and taking them out only to give them direct attention or to go play/potty outside? Our dog was almost all trained and what helped her a lot was hanging out with two other dogs who WERE house trained. Since their home/territory was unfamiliar to her, she followed them everywhere and caught on that if you need to go, you go outside NO MATTER WHAT! But she was there for 10 days while we were out of town. Nature's Miracle has worked well for us with urine. www.dogforums.com might have some good advice. Best of luck!