Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Duncan's update


Duncan is doing good right now. His infection is cleared up and his breathing is improving. His right lung is giving them some trouble, but they are monitoring it closely. They are trying to figure out all his liquids so they can get him more stable. His blood sugar level gets high and they adjust that and then his blood pressure gets out of whack, then he pees too much, then he doesn't pee enough. The Dr. wants to get it figured out so they can get him stable and get him eating again. They may begin feeding him again today. His weight is up he is now
2lb. 6oz. and looking better each day. They have been taking so much blood from his foot though that his heel looks like it has 20 little holes in it. He is feisty and lets the nurse and Dr. know what he wants. He loves to be on his belly and when we were there yesterday he looked like he was going to crawl away. I think he is tired of being in there. Justin keeps asking me if he was like this in my belly, and I say yes, he was just starting to move a lot and when he did, he would really move.

They are going to be doing another scan of his brain on Thursday to check for any signs that he may have neurological damage. The Dr. said that babies that don't have bleeds don't usually have this problem, so she isn't anticipating to see any problems.

The bad news is that now I have some sort of cold. I went to the Dr. and he put me on penicillin. It must be a cure all because they gave Justin the same thing. So I am very sad right now because I won't be able to go see Duncan today. I'm lucky though that they were able to get me in so quickly to see a Dr. because last week Justin had to wait a whole week to get in. The other problem I am having is sleeping at night. I can't. I am so tired, but when I go to try to sleep, I can't. Any suggestions?
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

ellen said...

Sounds like a good update. Hmmm...not sleeping?! Try sewing or quilting or reading or baking. That's what I do!

Liz G. said...

Thanks for the update. When I am exhausted and still can't sleep, I use melatonin. It's natural and it helps you fall asleep without feeling groggy in the morning.

Amy Denton Benites said...

Nat....part of my fibromyalgia makes it very difficult to sleep. I found a natural way to sleep that really helps. VALERIAN ROOT. Take 3 valerian root pills and it should help you relax enough to sleep. I'm sure it's probably because you have all kinds of nerves going on right now. It's normal. Hope it helps. Love you.

Kat said...

Hi, Natalie-- you are on my mind so often...thank you for keeping this updated. For me, if I can walk at least a half hour, sometime during the day, it makes it much easier for me to sleep later.

The Williamses said...

Celestial Seasonings has Sleepytime tea, which is nice, but then they have Sleepytime EXTRA which is REALLY nice... it has Valerian and Chamomile, and helps calm you down, unwind, etc. so you can sleep.....
If the natural, good for you thing doesn't work, try cherry Nyquil. That's what I have to use when I just HAVE to have a good 8 hours of sleep and nothing else works.

You're all in our prayers. Love ya!

Sweetpea said...

Drink some chammomile tea. Valerian can help, or melatonin.

Glad Duncan is hanging in there. We have been praying and fasting for him.