Monday, June 1, 2009

A little Bump

The roller coaster ride is on a down side right now. Duncan had a really rough day. (This picture is from a few days ago). His little lungs just don't want to cooperate. The Dr. thinks that he has an infection now. It is so hard to sit by and see him struggling. I just feel so helpless and I am so emotional when I see all this happening. The Dr. today was actually very nice. She told me what was going on, they had the oxygen on the highest settings that she felt comfortable with and decided that they needed to go on the oscillator. She said it is much better for his lungs and is much more gentle. She said that infections can be fixed, and she was almost positive it was an infection, and that we have to keep going back to those two brain scans that came back with no bleeds. She said what is going on is fixable, the brain can't be fixed, so we have to be grateful for that. I am so extremely grateful for that. They took him off his feedings until they get this situation under control, so he will loose some weight. They also did an Eco to check and make sure that the hole in his heart didn't open back up. If it did, we will go another round with the medicine and then he may have to have the surgery to close it. The Dr. said that will be a later discussion. Justin and I have to put our trust in the Dr.'s and nurses and most importantly our Heavenly Father. It is so hard though.

I was sitting watching the tech. do the Eco on Duncan today and I had no idea what he was looking at and measuring. I could tell it was the heart, but it was much more complicated than that. It seriously made me realize how grateful I am for Doctors, nurses and techs. who spend thousands of dollars and go to years of school to go into the medical field. I pray for Duncan's nurses and Dr.'s that they will know what to do for him. It is so hard to put your trust in someone who is after all only human.

Thank you for all your prayers, please, please keep praying for him and his lungs and heart.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

andreamatrix said...

What a crummy bump! BUT I'm so glad that it's one of the fixable kind. Hang in there. I don't have your cell #, but I would love you to send it to my e-mail. andreamatrix1@yahoo.com I would love to talk... Or listen... Or I can just make up stupid jokes or stories.

THE FLEMING FAMILY!!! said...

Many prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

andreamatrix said...

I just found a website that looks really good. There is a parents with preemies forum where they post what they are going through. Sounds like most 25 weekers take two steps forward and then one back... You might want to check it out.

http://forum.baby-gaga.com/forum-30.html

Love you!

Allison and Nathan said...

Poor little Duncan! Hang in there Nat - he's going to be fine. We love you!