Friday, June 5, 2009

Funny Story

I have to tell the story behind the picture below. It is just too good of a story to pass up.

Once upon a time-just kidding. In the '80's we had this elder that served his mission in Phoenix. He became really close to our family, partly because my oldest brother Ben was on his mission at the same time. Elder Greenwood was a good substitute for a little while. When he went home he did the normal thing and got engaged. Well, my mom had to go to his wedding. So she decides that Suzi and I should go with her. We packed up my dads little Toyota station wagon and made our way to Utah. Oh, but don't think that it was an easy trip, oh no. There was adventure and danger.

When we got to Kanab, the car started to have some problems. It was overheating and my mom didn't think that we would make it to Provo. She was right. I don't remember exactly where we were, but in the middle of the night the car broke down. We were able to coast into this abandoned store parking lot and park next to the store. Remember-two women and a girl, alone, in a parked, broken down car at night before cell phones had even been a common thing.

There was a payphone near by so my mom went and called my dad to let him know what had happened and she also called her friend in Utah who we were going to be staying with. Well the friend said she was coming to get us so stay put. No problem. As we are sitting in a dark, broken down car another strange car keeps passing by us. It went by a couple of times. Then it pulled into the parking lot. My mom said to me "hand me the iron." I hand her a curling iron. She tells me "that's not the iron I want, I want the iron for clothes." I couldn't find it, so she said give me the iron. At this point the man in the car has turned around and pulled up next to our car and asked my mom if we needed any help. My mom said no, we were waiting for a friend.

Okay, it doesn't sound so scary, but if you were there you would have been scared. My moms friend did come and pick us up. We made it to the wedding and reception the next day and even enjoyed our stay. My dad and brother drove our van to pick us up and on our way back we picked up the Toyota and towed it home.

This is just one of many vacation adventures. I have so many more I could tell.

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

That's SO funny. Imagine your mom clocking some guy on the head with an iron! Too funny.

love_suz said...

I'm not sure but I don't think I was scared...except when Mom asked for the iron. I think that is still hillarious!